The department is mandated to carry out market-driven R & D with agro-industrial waste for effective use in industries. It sets out to use industrial biotechnology to create health, clean environment and wealth. In view of this, the department undertakes market driven R & D to harness Nigeria’s rich natural resources and wastes for nutritional applications, protection of environment, generation of bio-energy and industrial needs. In pursuit of these noble objectives, the department has a highly qualified research team and technical staff.
- Starter culture development
- Molecular biology
DIVISIONS IN THE DEPARTMENT
- Enzyme technology
- Waste utilization and fermentation
- Molecular biology and genetics
- Production of industrial enzymes
- Production of glucose syrup from cassava starch
- Preservation of some food products (kunun-zaki, zobo, etc)
- Production of edible mushroom.
- Production of soya dawadawa – a food condiment
- Local technology for oxytetracycline and tetracycline production
- Wines from local fruits, vegetables and flowers.
- Soy-ogi production
- Soy-gari production
- Bottling and preservation of palmwine
- Production of unclarified, clarified and carbonated fruit juice
- Production of biogas and biofertilizer from agro-industrial wastes.
- Ogiri production
- Shelf-stable kunun-zaki